Friday, July 19, 2013

Interstate Exits: Arizona KML File

We're on the home stretch of our journey through the interstate exits of the western states. As you can't possibly not know, I've been laboring through making Google Earth (GE) KML files in order to make up for the program's lack of labels.

It's been a thorn under my blanket for years that when nearly all the trail books I've read tell me to "turn left off interstate exit 253" I have absolutely no way of following along on Google Earth – cause there are no labels! Frankly, often when I zoom in to be able to even see some of the back-country roads, I have absolutely no clue where on the globe I've got to.

So, here is the Arizona map, the eighth in the series. If you open the file in the background when using GE in Arizona, you'll be able to see tiny placemarks at every interstate exit. If you want to know the exit number (etc.) merely hover over it with your mouse and its label will pop up.

Arizona Interstates

For such a non-descript state (no offense guys), Arizona has certainly got its share of the federal highway system. I-40 transects the state between New Mexico and California at about the level of Flagstaff. Then I-17 has its beginning (or end) at Flagstaff and trundles off north-south toward Phoenix where I-10 cuts it off at the knees going rogue.

I-10, being of even number, is on the books as being an east-west route; but, you sure couldn't prove it by how it acts in Arizona. It sneaks in from California and spends the majority of it's time heading southward until it reaches Tucson when it finally makes a wobbly course correction into New Mexico.

In Tucson I-19 takes up where poor old I-17 left off and heads off into Mexico. And, to round it out, I-8, almost as an afterthought, comes in the back door from California, heads east and is also cut off by I-10 in its non-expected southward journey.

Free Google Earth File

The free Google Earth file for Arizona interstate exits is available at: Google Earth Trail FileOffroading Home on the specialty map resource page. Click to arrive at the page and select the Arizona map. It is a .kml file that is utilized by Google Earth. You can either save the map on your computer or click "open" to have it open directly inside Google Earth.


Learn A Little More

Did I say that last weeks posting was all that I had for the pianist-turned-comedian Victor Borge – well, I've found another.

Victor Borge and "The Hungarian Rhapsody"




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I will, of course, be moderating all comments to make sure (a) they conform to the standards of good taste set forth by Offroading Home; and (b) nope that's pretty much it.