Why did I do Montana before Arizona or Colorado, Offroading Homes usual group of states with offroad maps? One reason – I haven't heard anything from readers in either of those states for a long time and I had a brand new trail submission from Montana.
Besides, lest we all forget, this is the state with Yellowstone! They even have a county named: Lewis and Clark!
So 54 hand-coded, mind-numbing counties and 65,249 waypoints later – "we've got mappage!" [For a free Google Earth file of this route see: Montana USGS Features]
So, spread the word, the file is available for downloading. As big as all the other state's USGS Waypoint maps, Montana's will choke Google Earth if you open it all at once.
Whenever you are looking at Google Earth trying to plan a future ride - load up this file and keep it available on the side. Then, when you decide on an area you'd like to ride, just click on the box next to the county to make the waypoints visible.
All of the USGS waypoints which should be on a quadrangle will show up all around where you intend to ride. You can plan campsites, side trips, viewpoints, photo spots and any other activity for which it helps to know "what's there."
The other states waypoints which are already available are: Utah, Nevada and California.
This summer there are several major Off Road gatherings around the intermountain area. I missed the Tri-State ATV Jamboree in Hurricane Utah in March but "there's always next year" - contact Tri State Jamboree
Learn A Little More
Here is a list of those events coming up:
- Paiute Trail UTV Jamboree - August 12, 13, 14 2010 in Marysvale Utah: UTV Jam
- Arapeen ATV Jamboree - September 6-10 2010 in Ferron Utah: Arapeen ATV Jamboree
- Manti Mountain ATV Run - August 13-14, 2010 in Manti, Utah: Manti ATV Run
- Bryce ATV Rally - August 25-28, 2010 in Panguitch, UT: Bryce Rally
- Rocky Mountain ATV - UTV Jamboree - September 20-25 in Richfield Utah: Rocky Mountain Jamboree
- San Juan ATV Safari - September 16th-18th 2010 in Blanding Utah: San Juan ATV Safari
Please leave a comment if you know of any other Offroad Vehicle gatherings in this neck of the woods this summer.