Monday, April 26, 2010

"Megalithic Portal" Website

Recently I was told about a webpage entitled: "Megalithic Portal Meets Google Earth" so for grins I took a look to see if by chance they had something in the area.

It turns out they actually did — at least a few. Additionally, it seems the site is based in England and was set up (at least probably initially) by persons selling information about Stonehendge, hence the grandiose name.  [For a free Google Earth file of this route see: Megalithic Portal Sites]

I guess people had difficulty distinquishing between "lith" (meaning 'stone') and "glyph" (writing) because eventually their database began including "ancient" sites of all types and from all over the world.

I have extracted from their database, those sites which are found in the western US and put them into the Google Earth file linked above.

From perusing the sites they list in the area's I know well, it seems like their database is quite limited, and I cannot acertain its accuracy. However, as there are a couple near snowbird headquarters which I have not heard of, I thought you would like to see them too.

You should take a quick peek at the file, if for no other reason than to just see how many "ancient" sites people have submitted from around the world.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I will, of course, be moderating all comments to make sure (a) they conform to the standards of good taste set forth by Offroading Home; and (b) nope that's pretty much it.