Monday, June 28, 2010

GEO-tography: Imaginary Friends

Ya know… I've been occasionally posting series of photographs which highlight the Offroad. And while at first they were just a collection of photographs that I liked to look at, once I posted them I realized from emails how many others enjoyed them as well.

All of them have as a common denominator… well… geology. But the ones that catch my eye either, as Ansel Adams said, just were because the photographer was "standing in the right place," or they are particularly well shot OR they are unusual in some way.

I noticed that I was accumulating a few of one type, such that it would nearly make a post – so here they are. The technique of capturing excitement and action in still photographs is called "sequence photography."

Easy to do with the "burst" mode on your digital camera and a little cosmesis in Photoshop.

A whole new definition of – "Imaginary Friends."

Burst Photography

Lancelin Dunes – Whip Sequence by Photocaro

Greggins Jumping green water by I voted for Kodos

Cliff diving by deluxe_pictures

Sequence Summer Jump by ArtDZ

Nan nan is the coolest dude ever by Catherine Ryan

paso de los ciervos by Mikelo

Phil on ‘Stab in the Dark by Enlightened Fellow

Learn A Little More

The technique of shooting a series of images where the subject is captured in successive motion is called sequence photography.

In a nutshell: Set your camera to "burst mode" (or equivalent) and place on something very stable; set the depth of field and frame to include the subjects full action sequence then trigger the burst during the action.

Then import all the sequence into photoshop where you will use layering and masks to reveal only the subject in different poses in front of a "registered" stationary background.

It's all explained in these three tutorials: (Don't blame me for the quality – I just found 'em, I didn't make 'em.)

  1. Multiplicity Photography Tutorial
  2. How to Create a Radical Photo Sequence
  3. How to shoot a sequence photo – Red Bull Illume 2010

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I will, of course, be moderating all comments to make sure (a) they conform to the standards of good taste set forth by Offroading Home; and (b) nope that's pretty much it.