Sunday, August 9, 2009

Map Update: California Trails - Desert Region

Quite some time ago I ran across quite a few California offroad tracks on the web. They were in a format which was completely new to me and I sort of got hung up on trying to understand and convert the trails to something usable in Google Earth. [For a free Google Earth file of this route see: Offroading Home: California Trails]

I succeeded, then found that there were other GPS tracks available for Utah, Colorado and Arizona as well. I was able to convert them to .kml format much more easily and thus was born some of the offroad trail maps which I was able to make available. Of course, much has been added since then.

Recently I found one of the books which some of the tracks came from and have been able to greatly enhance some of the California maps: California Trails Desert Region by Massey, Wilson and Titus.

I am not the same having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.”
Mary Anne Radmacher Hershey

The California desert region now has alot more detail, especially for those GPS tracks where petroglyphs (a particular interest of mine) are concerned.

HOWEVER, although I have verified that the waypoints given do actually seem to have a basis in fact, i.e. are visible on the satellite image, I don't consider them "verified" until someone actually rides them with a GPS unit. (hint, hint).

Those of you in California, or who are going there, take a browse on over to OffroadingHome.com and look at the "California Trails" map in Google Earth.

Pick a trail which interests you, ride it and send me your track! That way I can mark it off as "verified by ride" and give you credit for the verification, How about it?

Learn something new

A new form of water… clean! I knew of developments along this line but didn't know that it had already been developed into an actual product. Do yourself a favor and take less than five minutes to see how this little invention can actually benefit "third-world" communities — like in Africa, South America and New Orleans. TED talk: Michael Pritchard invents a water filter.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I will, of course, be moderating all comments to make sure (a) they conform to the standards of good taste set forth by Offroading Home; and (b) nope that's pretty much it.