Monday, December 14, 2009

Map Update: California Trails - Central Mountains

This was a fun update, largely due to the weird and varied trails which run through areas which I tangentially know. I just wish I would have had these maps when I was in the Navy in California. [For a free Google Earth file of this route see: California Trails

I was able to obtain the use of a copy of California Trails Central Mountains Region and spent several hours updating all the trailhead waypoints along with improving the descriptions of the trail. In some cases I needed to hand-draw trails that the book had omitted.

There are several trails running along old highway 1 on the coast. "Old number one" has a great view, I can only imagine what looking down at the ocean from the cliffs above the coast would be like.

Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.”
Jerry Seinfeld

There are great wooded campsites and trails but I do need to warn you that California has a lot of "protected" areas in one sense or the other with their own "rules" about who, when and how they are used. This translates in some cases to fees and permits so please check with the governing authority and/or local riding clubs when you are planning a visit.

Also, if you live in the area and find that some of these trails have either changed or closed please let me know so I can alter the maps accordingly.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I will, of course, be moderating all comments to make sure (a) they conform to the standards of good taste set forth by Offroading Home; and (b) nope that's pretty much it.