Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Google Earth: New Version

I used to think that it was only an old wives tail that washing your car makes it rain; but, there's just too many "coincidences."

We've had an extremely cool and wet spring here in Snowbird Headquarters until this last week - when I passed the one month mark on washing the "beast." Then we started a project which didn't need interruptions - and what did we get? A two hour Kirby Vacuum demonstration.

Now, to carry the "coincidence" too far, after months of corresponding with Google over the bugs they had in Google Earth 5.0, and having absolutely no indication that they were even listening, I gave in and changed all the transparency settings on ALL of the GE maps that have on my web site.

Over six-months ago GE 5.0 was released with the fancy new "space" and "underwater" systems. Unfortunately, it had many bugs - which Google didn't even acknowledge. Lots of people switched, and lots of people began writing to say that I had made my maps wrong.

I was the first to write to Google about the problem with their transparency problem so they made me the "owner" of the "bug-ticket." I got to read emails of all the other map makers who were also having the problems; but, never heard anything from Google.

So, after months of waiting, the day before yesterday I went through and re-programmed all my maps with different transparency values so they would show up on GE correctly.

If you are in a spaceship that is traveling at the speed of light, and you turn on the headlights, does anything happen?”
Stephen Wright

And, you guessed it, yesterday they put out an unexpected update which did correct at least that bug. So, all of you who use my maps should download the latest version GE 5.0.11733.9347 which fixes the transparency and makes them all pretty again (I switched them all back).

There are still other problems, so not all of the descriptions display correctly; but, hey at least you can see them.

Just remember, Google has begun trying to force its browser (Chrome) on you on nearly every page; so, when you accept the "terms" of their download - you need to read the small print and UNcheck the box which allows them to download Chrome onto your machine (unless you want it).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I will, of course, be moderating all comments to make sure (a) they conform to the standards of good taste set forth by Offroading Home; and (b) nope that's pretty much it.